Monday, October 27

I. Must. Finish. This. Sweater.

So the other day, after drooling over the idea of a chunky, do-it-in-a-day sweater, I couldn't shake the little nagging voice in my head reminding me of that damn can't-even-do-in-six-months Grecian Plait.

It's not the sweater's fault that it's been nearly finished--but nothing more--for so many months. Yeah, the pattern was boring/easy (which should be good right?), and yes it is a kind of drab grey color... but I shouldn't have let that keep me from finishing it. So, in the spirit of wanting to just be DONE with the sucker I decided that I WILL finish this sweater. Knit the second sleeve, seam it, wear it; we're talking finish line in sight, people.

Or so I thought. Unfortunately, when I was about 5 inches in to the second sleeve I realized that it was nearly two inches too wide. The wacky thing is, even though I knit the first sleeve in February, I cast on for the second sleeve with the exact same number of stitches, needle, and yarn as I did for the first sleeve. Did my gauge seriously change that much in a few months?

I decided that knitting myself silly trying to match my gauge to sleeve numero uno didn't sound like much fun. Instead, I think I'll block and seam the body, rip out the sleeve I already knit, and just knit the sleeves by picking up stitches around the armholes. That way they'll be seamless and I can tailor them to fit better.

Just another silly obstacle in me finishing this sweater. I will do it, though. Watch, I bet it won't even fit... (maybe a little insight into the real reason behind my laggy finishing on this one)

No comments: