Monday, February 4

Finished Knits 2006

Blueberry Beret- my own design

I knit this hat for my mom for Christmas '06, but it gave me so much trouble that it almost wasn't ready for Christmas day. I knit this hat flat and seamed it, which was my biggest mistake. Also, I don't think I swatched for gauge at all. Ah, the early years of knitting. . . Needless to say, as I started seaming it a few days before Christmas I realized I had actually knit a hat to fit a T-Rex. Frantically I searched San Francisco for a sewing shop that was open on December 24th. Luckily I found one and spent the latter portion of the evening (we're talking until the wee hours of the morning) carefully hand-sewing in casing for elastic around the brim.The hat ended up turning out beautifully and more stylish than I'd originally had in mind.

Kittyville Hat- Stitch 'n' Bitch


This simple hat is the first thing I ever knit in the round. A great project for beginners. I opted to leave the kitty ears off of mine. I knit this one up in some cheap acrylic stuff so that if I messed it up I wouldn't have much to lose. Good strategy, but it made for a pretty un-wearable hat. I later knit this for Sam with a wool/angora blend in orange and brown. His hat turned out beautifully, but I have yet to get a photo of him wearing it.

Oscar's Beanie- my own design*

I can't really take credit for "designing" this hat. I used the formula for the Kittyville hat (above) and just knit it to the specifications I wanted. I used the same cashmere/silk stuff I used for the Loopy Velez Cowl (2007 FOs). It's hard to see here, but it's charcoal grey with a couple of forest green stripes. The wearer, my good friend Oscar, is an understated kinda guy, hence the subtleness of this hat.

No comments: