Saturday, August 9

Oh, I've got plans for you.

Somehow I found a way to make a cheapcheapcheap sweater into a not- so- cheapcheapcheap sweater.

I had plans for that maroon Columbia Minerva-- plans to turn the 3 hanks I got for $1 into a little cropped sweater. Today I realized trying to squeeze a cropped sweater out of 450 yards of fingering/sport weight yarn was nuts. So I did what all self respecting knitters do in times of fiber stress. . . I bought more yarn.

I biked to K2Tog and Stash today in hopes of finding some Susan Bates size 3 circulars (so I can start my Springtime in Philadelphia!). Stash was a bust for the needles, but I found this lovely Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, color Envy. It's approximately the same gauge as the Minerva (the Minerva is so old it's got neither gauge nor yardage on it) and similar ply/fiber content. I love the colors together, the different colors of green combined with the deep maroon feels so organic and flowery. So my $1 sweater is now a $21 dollar sweater. . . but I think the finished product will be worth it. Now all I've got to do is get an idea about how I want to combine these colors and work on a sweater design.

Garter Vest is nearing completion, and I think I'll cast on for the Springtime in Philadelphia Beret today. . . finally! Just in time for the Olympics, too.

No comments: