Friday, January 23

While I've been gone, I've been knitting.

Well, I guess I haven't actually been gone. I just haven't been writing in here. Admittedly the writing hiatus has been partially due to my uncertain feelings about blogs. Blogs are so narcissistic , which is what turns me off about them, but now that I don't have any papers to write for school I really do enjoy having an opportunity to write little essays. And afterall, knitting is my favorite subject.

And boy, apparently not writing has given me some time to get some knitting projects under way/done. So to get us back into the swing of things, here is what I've been knitting.

1. I FINISHED the Springtime in Philadelphia beret. You know, the fabulous semi-lace Koigu one I've been working on for what seems like forever. Overall this was a somewhat time consuming knit, but didn't take me anywhere near the actual six months it was on the needles. I don't think I ever worked on this project at home-- almost all knitting was done completely on public transit (mainly while job searching) or in waiting rooms. I also stopped working on it for a month or so in the middle, because I discovered that I was having an allergic reaction to my Susan Bates needles (which were the only 3s I had). I resurrected it recently and was able to finish it within a few days. No post-blocking (or finished) photos yet, but they'll come soon.


Project Specs:

Pattern- Springtime in Philadelphia Beret by Kate Gagnon
Yarn- Koigu KPPM, color P118C (I think, it's speckled pinks). 1.5 skeins.
Needles- Susan Bates US 3, random metal DPNs size US 1 for ribbing
Cast on/off- August 10, 2008-Jan 20, 2009
Comments- What the hell, this is HUGE. There is nothing more disheartening than finishing a sock weight lace beret you've been working on for six months only to realize it makes you look like you're wearing a very fashionable and expensive hairnet. I'm considering my options with this one: ripping it out and reknitting it seems like an unattractive option, while shrinking it seems scary but promising. I've heard awful rumors Koigu doesn't shrink... so we'll see what I do with this hat. Whatever I do, though, I'll do something. I should note that I think the pattern is very well written, fun to knit, and just challenging enough. Not sure if it's the pattern or me that made it huge, but I'm thinking it's the latter.


2. My first socks! I avoided socks for years because I was terrified that I'd uncover a new obsession... and now that I've entered into sock territory I'm finding all my fears were well placed. I must. knit. more. socks.



Project Specs:
Pattern- Ann Norling Adult Socks II
Yarn- Nashua Grand Opera, black. 2 skeins.
Needles- Brittany Birch DPNs, size US 4
Cast on/off- Dec 12, 2008-Jan 10 2009
Comments- Very straightforward, and a great first sock pattern/experience. Using a DK weight yarn for my first pair was essential-- I couldn't have chugged through a fingering weight pair my first time around. The Grand Opera is kind of splitty, but I mean it's a sparkle yarn... what did I expect.

3. Large Cable Scarf for my Mom



Project Specs:
Pattern- none, improvised.
Yarn- Malabrigo Chunky, color Indigo. 2 skeins.
Needles- Harmonies, size US 11.
Cast on/off- Dec 23-Dec 26 2008
Comments- A large cable scarf, knitted as a last minute Christmas gift for my mom. Malabrigo is fantastic to work with, as always, and the color is great. So soft knitted up, too! This was a simple pattern, and I'll write it up for those of you who want it for free.

4. Rachael Neckwarmer out of Iro

Project Specs:
Pattern- Rachael Neckwarmer
Yarn- Noro Iro, don't remember the color name anymore. I skein.
Needles- Harmonies, size US 11.
Cast on/off- Nov 17 2008-Jan 10 2009
Comments- Well written pattern, and my first time doing short rows. I loved them, and I'm so pleased I now understand how they affect the shape of fabric. I'm also very pleased to finally be done with this yarn. I knitted this into a highly unsuccessful scarf months ago, painfully frogged it a couple of times, and then let the yarn languish for several months. The Iro is interesting... very plant-matterey. Hard to rip out. Not that soft... but boy are the colors pretty. Let's just say the Iro isn't my thing, but my mom sure does like it.

There are many more projects to blog about, but I've gotta run. More later!

1 comment:

Brena said...

That's sad about your beret, it looks so pretty! Welcome to the world of sock obsession! I recommend you try some Monkeys next.