Monday, October 13

Tha Prince.

Jeanette is a difficult name to spell. Not for me, mind you, but for most other people. Hostesses at restaurants, receptionists at doctor's offices, hell, sometimes even my own [extended]family members misspell my name. It's either that my name has too many letters (especially those silent, pesky vowels) or too few(I'm talking 'n's here). Most of the time my name ends up being Janet, Janette, Jeannette, or on a rare occasion Jennifer.

The problem with my name is that it does have a bunch of silent letters, and the phonetic spelling is nowhere near how I actually spell my name. Solution? My little cousin Hailey's version of my name. One year, when she was about 3 years old, she made me a birthday/Christmas/holiday card. She had taken it upon herself to write my name, and came up with the brilliant contraction "J'net".

Since then I've used this little abbreviation when too lazy to sign my full name, or when feeling silly. And BOY, how silly did I feel when I wandered into my local record shop (yup, we've still got local record shops in these parts!) and found that I'm not the only J'net. Perhaps I should take on the title of "Ya Royal Freshness"...

In other news, I have Malabrigo Fever. I'd heard so much about this yarn, about how squishy and luxe and buttery it is, but I didn't understand it until I got my little cookie grabbers on some of my own. In the ball and knitted up, this stuff is amazing. Bouncy and soft, and with the subtle color variations that tug at my inner-knitting-soul. Even though I went into the LYS looking for a totally different color, I fell in love with this fantastic rose/burgandy color. As always, photos don't do this stuff justice. And it knits up so fast, on size 8s! (Apparently I've been spending too much time knitting with sock yarn on size 3s).

I bought enough (or just one ball shy of enough, only time will tell) for the perfect sweater I've decided to knit myself. I'm toying around with the idea of making it my first published sweater design... but that's dependent on my comprehension of size-grading. I've already got the design all mapped out in my head, and a name is even on the tip of my tounge. Now to start knitting.

3 comments:

Brena said...

Good luck with the design... anything made out of Malabrigo will be yummy!

Team Knit said...

ooh, that's some amazing looking malabrigo! I'm sure it's going to turn out well.

- Julie

Jeanette said...

That's exactly what I figure-- using this fantastic Malabrigo, how bad can it be?

I'm casting on today!