Monday, September 29

High Hopes

Why is it that after several years of knitting (and several successful knits, thankyouverymuch) I am still surprised when something I hand crafted turns out to be a dud? Maybe it's the thought that if you put enough time and good intentions into something, it can't help but turn out fantastic. Or the little voice in your head that says "No, don't swatch! This yarn is fantastic, how bad can it be?"

Don't get me wrong-- 'how bad can it be' is a motto I often live by. Only thing is, it works better when applied to cooking and not so great when applied to knitting. How bad can it be? This failed scarf illustrates this point perfectly: really bad.

My brain was apparently on vacation when I conceived and knit this Noro Iro scarf. Admittedly the scarf doesn't look half bad in this photo, all prettily pinned and blocking. If only the scarf had held that shape-- instead, the moment my mom draped this beauty around her neck it rolled up into a snake. Ugh.

So, after months of procrastinating, that scarf has been frogged. I found a new pattern for the yarn, and I think this one will be a winner. Here's hoping.

In the midst of frogging and rethinking projects gone awry I have found comfort in simple little projects. Best part about these little projects? Hard to screw up. I have a particular favorite WIP that I can't show you all of just yet. . . but here's a teaser. Stay tuned, free pattern available by Wednesday!

1 comment:

greg mirken said...

Oh, is THAT what the Noro scarf was supposed to look like? Hmmm. I'll like the new spikey neckwarmer better, anyway. I'm assuming that since you have that pictured, you've decided on it. If this new WIP doesn't work out, just frog it and make me a champagne bottle cozy.
Mom