Friday, July 25

You don't have to put out the red light.

Well, after a couple of years of knitting only one thing at a time, I've now become a knitting slut. At the moment I have THREE working garments on the needles, and a fourth is soon to join. For the longest time I thought that by keeping myself focused on one project at a time I was increasing my knitting efficiency/speed. Yet, after a week of whoring it up between a couple of different projects, I find that having varied projects to chose from is actually the way to go. Annoyed at a stitch pattern? Indulge in some mindless garter stitch!

Speaking of garter stitch, I recently started a new project that's changing the way I feel about garter stitch. Up until recently whenever I saw garter stitch all I could think about was that first horrible, sparkly, acrylic scarf I knit. Perhaps that association has something to do with how tacky I always felt garter stitch was; if you could compare knitting to desserts, garter stitch would be a Twinkie.

The Side-to-Side Garter Stitch Vest turned my feelings about boring ol' garter stitch upside down. Something about a simple pattern, gorgeous yarn, and big gauge makes me appreciate the low-key beauty of a vest knit almost entirely in garter stitch. Though I'm no longer apppalled by garter stitch, perhaps my previous confectionery parallel was dead on. Garter, like a twinkie, is quick, easy, and satisfying. Only difference? Garter is fulfilling and guilt free.

I got the pattern (published in the Tahki Yarns Terra Summer Collection pamplet) on a recent trip to Imagiknit in San Francisco. What an amazing yarn shop! The owner and staff are so friendly, the selection is unbelievable, and Tartine, arguably the best bakery in San Francisco, is two blocks away! It's hard to find a yarn shop that you feel at home at immediately, but this shop is everthing I've been looking for. I left with a big goofy smile on my face (perhaps because I left with way more stuff than I intended on getting?), and I will be going out of my way to go there for any of my knitting needs from now on. If you're in the Bay area, go check out Imagiknit.

Speaking of buying way too much yarn, my trip to Imagiknit was originally to get some beautiful Koigu KPPM for the Springtime in Philadelphia beret I referenced a few posts down. I swatched with the yarn last night and I am just in love with the yarn and color. The feel of the yarn is incredible, and the speckled pink color I chose is the perfect type of variegated color yarn. The speckles are so small that there's no chance of striping, instead the knitted fabric is a beautiful mosaic of complementary colors. A complete about face from my previous gush about garter and big needles-- stockinette and small (2s and 3s, yikes!) needles with this yarn makes me really appreciate how versatile skinny yarn and small needles can be. I want nothing more than to knit a whole sweater out of KPPM!

But I don't need to add a FIFTH work in progress to my list, so for now I'll stick to the projects at hand and put my dreams of a Koigu sweater on hold.

PS. I'm 75% done with the Grecian Plait and about 35% done with the Side-to-Side Garter Stitch Vest. I hope to have both done within a few weeks, and maybe the beret too!

3 comments:

Sally Teeple said...

Yeah, that sparkly white scarf was pretty damn hideous. Also scratchy.

Jeanette said...

Haha, I'm sorry to pawning it off on you. Hey, what do you think of that vest I'm knitting for Mom? The girl wearing the green one in the photo represents what I hope it will look like finished.

Jeanette said...

I'm sorry to pawning it off on you?

What the hell.

Haha, a little foreigner crept into my typing this morning I guess.

*I'm sorry that I pawned it off on you.